Baccarat Rules : How to Play Baccarat
Baccarat rules are few and fairly simple to understand. Baccarat is also one of the many loved casino card games found both in online and land-based casinos. The object of the game is to get as close to 9 as possible without going over.
Nine is the best hand that you can have. If the total of both your cards is over the number 10, your hand will become the second value of that total number. For example, if the two cards pulled is 6 and 8, the total value becomes 14. Your new hand will then be 4.
There are rules and conditions associated with handing out third cards, we discuss these rules below. The method of play remains the same whether you are playing on a mini baccarat table or a full baccarat table in a US online casino or in a live setting. Only difference is that in a live setting you interact with the casino dealer. When playing online you interact with casino software.
Play Baccarat Online
Casino Baccarat Rules
Whether you are playing the James Bond Chemin de fer or mini baccarat or Punto banco, you can use these general rules to get started.
- Only 8 decks of cards are used in the casino games.
- Face cards are worth of zero.
- All other cards use face value and ace is worth 1.
- Play officially begins after the players bet.
- The two cards are only handed to the player and banker once all bets are down.
- Cash is never handed to the dealer directly. All money for buying chips need to be placed on the table. The dealer will receive it from there.
- The bettor with the highest wager in any particular round will receive the player cards. You are not allowed to look at these until all cards have been dealt.
- If you have the banker hand, you also do not look at the cards you have been handed until the dealer has put the player cards face up.
- The nine or below hand wins. This applies to all games including high roller tables
- The baccarat house edge is 1.4%
When you learn how to play baccarat online, you can bet on either the player or the banker. This does not necessarily mean that you are the player and that the dealer is the banker. It’s simply two terms used to refer to the two different sides of the table where you can place your bets.
There are also a few other bets that you can make. The first of these is a tie bet. The tie bet occurs when the total between the player and the banker is equal.
This means neither the player nor the banker wins or loses. This bet pays both equally at an 8:1 ratio.
Additional bets include the pair bet where you can bet on whether you think there will be a pair on the player or a pair on the banker. A pair occurs if both of the first two cards for each are a pair, for example, two 5’ or two kings. This bet pays 11:1.
Players Third Card
Generally, only two cards are dealt to each hand (player or dealer). But each hand may receive a third card and the point totals each hand receives will determine whether or not a third card is dealt.
|When the first two cards total||Action|
|1,2,3,4,5,10||Draw a third card|
|6 or 7||Player stands|
|8 or 9||Neutral, player stands|
Baccarat Rules for Dealer
The rules regarding the banker’s play is dependent on the value of the players third card.
|When the first two cards total||Draws when third card is||Stands when third card is|
|0-1-2||draws one card|
Baccarat Tie Rules
If you choose to go with the tie bet the house will have an edge of 14.36%. It is advised not to bet on the tie because of the high house edge. The tie is not the only element in baccarat that you need to look out for.
You need to keep the natural win or hand in mind each time you bet on the banker or the player. For instance, if the first two cards are equal to 8 or 9 it is referred to as a natural win. Also, that hand wins the round.
Other Baccarat Guides: