Play Lottery Games in the US
Lottery games are arguably the most played gambling games in the world, especially in the USA. They boast large jackpots and attract millions of players in many countries.
Playing the lottery is simple for US players. All you need to do is get a lottery ticket, select 6 numbers between 0 and 47 and mark them clearly on the ticket. The marked ticket is then cashed in at a participating store. You will receive a printed slip in return with all your chosen numbers on it.
On the day of the draw, a lottery machine will randomly draw 6 numbers from a possible 47. These will be the winning numbers for that particular draw. All the numbers are presented on colourful balls. If the six winning numbers match yours, you become an instant millionaire. Read on below and learn all there is to know about online lottery games in the United States.
Best USA Lottery Casino Sites
Online Lottery Games Page Links
How to play US Lottery Games
As explained above, if Lady Luck is on your side and the six numbers on your ticket match the drawn winning numbers for the day, you win. If you match none of the numbers, you lose. However, various other cash prizes are offered to players who match some of the winning numbers, and the amount of money you win will depend on the number of matched numbers you have.
If no winner is recorded for a specific draw, the jackpot automatically rolls over to the next draw, and follows this pattern until a winner is announced. The biggest reported jackpot in the US Mega Million is a whopping $656 million shared amongst 6 winners. The odds of one person winning the national lottery is 1 in 258,890,850.
Tickets in lottery games vary in cost. In the United States, a single lottery ticket generally costs $1. Players are also able to enter more than once to increase their chances of winning. Entries are accepted at retail stores and online.
Types of Lottery Games
There are many types of lottery games, and each one is played using the same basic principles and methodologies. Let’s have a look at some of the options available today.
- Powerball. Powerball is played in 44 states in the US excluding Mississippi, Alabama, Utah, Nevada, Alaska and Hawaii. Powerball players choose 5 numbers between 1 and 59, and a single Powerball number between 1 and 35. To win the Powerball jackpot, you need to match all five numbers including the Powerball number. There are also other smaller cash prizes up for grabs if you match some of the winning numbers. A Powerball ticket in the US will cost you about $2.
- The Dailies. Daily lottery games can be played twice a day but hold much smaller cash prizes. Many types of daily lottery games exist, these include Pick 3, Pick 4 and Fantasy 5 games. Each type requires a player to choose 3, 4 and 5 numbers respectively in a ‘straight’ or ‘box’ game. A straight bet requests that all chosen numbers match the winning numbers in exactly the same order, while ‘box’ bets require no particular order as long as all the numbers match. Straight bets offer the greater payout between the two. The cost of a daily ticket ranges from 50c to $1.
- Scarcth-off Games. Lottery scratch games, also called ‘Instant Games’ are quick and can be played online. There are many types of scratch lottery games to choose from in the US. These don’t involve number selection and can be played at any time. To play this lottery game, you simply scratch the surface of an online lottery card to see which cash prize you’ve won, if anything. The winnings for scratch cards are relatively small and can go from $1 to $50.
- Quickies. Quick pick lottery games require the least amount of effort. Here, you don’t choose your own numbers. Instead, your numbers are retrieved from a lottery number generator. These can be purchased ready to go directly from the store.
Tips to Win at Lottery Games
Everybody wants to win the lottery, but unfortunately not everybody is as lucky (or experienced) as the ones who have. Below we’ve listed a couple of tips to help you on your journey towards becoming a lottery winner.
- Choose Rare Numbers. Each number has exactly the same odds of winning, and it’s almost impossible to guess what the winning numbers will be in any given draw. But, if you do win, there’s the possibility that another player might have chosen the same numbers as you, which means you’ll have to split the money. So, with all things being equal, you can optimise your chances of becoming sole winner by choosing less popular numbers. You can do some research and find statistics that prove which numbers are chosen the least in lottery games.
- Lottery Games and Scams. The fact of life is that there will always be people who try to exploit others, and scam their way into people’s pockets. Its advisable to only buy lottery tickets from authorized retailers. Players are also never asked to pay an amount of money upfront before winnings can be paid out. Be aware of this scam too. And lastly, we leave you with this; if you have not played a lottery game, YOU DID NOT WIN. Beware of fake emails with false claims!