Popular US Poker Terms
The key to understanding the game of poker lies in knowing the right poker terms. We have compiled the most commonly used poker terms to help you grasp the game of poker. The poker terms and phrases are listed along with detailed explanations. Once you have a good grasp of poker lingo and what it means you are well on your way to understand poker rules and game play.
Poker is a game of skill and chance as well as knowing how to bluff. Bluffing is not a big part of online poker as it is in land-based games though. Poker online requires players to be alert and fast. The only way a casino player can play poker fast is if they are familiar with the rules of the game, poker terms and phrases. We have grouped the various terms used in poker according to how they are used i.e. basic terms, card terms and phrases as well as game play terms. Read on for more.
Best USA Poker Casinos
Poker Terms Page Links
Basic Poker Terms and Phrases
- Ante - the minimum bet required from all players before a hand is dealt. This is required to contribute to the prize pool which is known as the pot.
- Buy-in – the amount that is needed to play at a specific poker game.
- Small Blind – the first compulsory bet made by the first player to the left of the dealer.
- Big Blind- the second compulsory bet made by the second player left of the dealer.
Poker Card Terms
- Flop / Community Cards- are cards dealt face up seen by all players to use in making a hand.
- Flush - A flush is a hand that contains five cards all of the same suit they do not have to be a series or sequence.
- Royal Flush – a hand of five cards in sequence of the same suit with the highest-ranking card in the suit being an Ace.
- Straight Flush– five cards in sequence of the same suit.
- Full House – three cards of one rank along with two of the same rank.
- Five of a Kind - is a hand that contains five cards of one rank.
Poker Terms Explained - Gameplay
- Fold - this is ending your game when you feel your hand is too weak to hold against what you think everyone else has. You place your cards face down and thereby lose anything you have bet so far.
- Check – this a play made by a player who does not wish to call or raise consecutively in one round but wants to make a play in the next round of betting.
- Call – this a bet that is equal to the last bet or raise made by another player.
- Raise – this is a doubled bet of the last bet made by another player.
There are more game specific terms which you will find out in the different poker variants. Check out our detailed easy poker game guides below:
Other Recommended Gambling Terms Guides: